Must see and do's in Auckland city beyond Parnell: (with links to in depth information)
- The "Bush & Beach" Wilderness Experience half-day guided-nature-tour noon till 5:30pm. The tour company picks you up from our door and takes you to the "Wild West Coast" of Auckland, where the NZ film "The Piano" was filmed. The west coast of Auckland has native rainforest with unique giant 1000+ year old Kauri trees (native tree of NZ), a gannet colony and also vineyards.
- Gala Local Tours offers customised Auckland tours to reflect your particular interests. Tour options cover the best of Auckland city and surrounds from the Auckland waterfront, volcanoes, museum, parks, cafes, markets, wine tastings and west coast beaches to Matakana, a charming wine growing and arts and crafts area north of Auckland.
- Hobbiton Express Tour, (09) 837-4130, pick-up from Ascot Parnell @ 7:00am. Daily tour from Auckland to the Hobbiton Movie Set, one of the key locations for the filming of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the upcoming Hobbit movies. Hobbiton is the largest green movie set in the world and has been wowing Lord of the Rings fans for over 10 years.
- Book an extra day in Auckland and make a day trip to Waiheke Island.View video here.
- Coromandel day tour. Experience the Coromandel Peninsula, a favourite holiday destination for many New Zealanders. Its amazing landscape consists of a mountainous, forest-covered backbone, with the Pacific Ocean on the east, and the sheltered bays and coves of the Hauraki Gulf on the west. Spend the day in this unique area steeped in history associated with kauri logging and gold mining and stunning coastlines.
- The National Maritime Museum, includes Polynesian migration and history of immigration. You can go sailing on a tall ship.
- The Art Gallery. The rich heritage of New Zealand art.
- Fine Wine Tour - Sample some of New Zealand best wines with Phil Parker as your personal guide.
- Take the Ferry across (10 min.) to Devonport - a picturesque historic Victorian sea-side village with historic homes, out-door cafes, craft shops, walking tracks up Mt Victoria and North Head. Old gun emplacement from WW 1. Breathtaking views ! <http://www.devonport.co.nz/beach.htm> With a bus-day-pass you can use all the city-busses and the ferry to Devonport historic village on a peninsula accross the harbor.
- Take the ferry for a hike on Rangitoto Island (extinct volcano). Nature reserve, unique plants and birds, breath taking views from the top of the volcano. For those who can't quite hike all the way up, there is transportation to take you up the steepest last minutes !
- View the city from the highest building in the southern hemisphere at Sky City. There are two fine-dining opportunities here too, with the Orbit restaurant and the Observatory buffet restaurant at the top of the tower.
- Visit Tiritiri Matangi Island world renowned rare bird sanctuary with endangered native birds. See: To get there you must book the ferry with 360 Discovery Cruises
- A day-trip with Bush&Beach tours to Great-Barrier Island.
- Walk through Cornwall Park and One Tree Hill Domain: The park is renowned for its landscape design and its wide variety of mature trees. It is centred on a volcanic cone, One Tree Hill, with many interesting geological features. A pre-European Maori fortification (pa) was built on the cone, many features of which can still be seen. The park's donor, Sir John Logan Campbell, is buried on the summit of One Tree Hill alongside the obelisk. The Maori name for the hill is Maungakiekie - mountain of the kiekie. Kiekie (Freycinettia banksii) grows as an epiphytic climber or vine. Immediately adjacent to the Park is One Tree Hill Domain.
- Day trip to The Bay of Islands by air: If your itinerary prohibits you from visiting the Bay of Islands, but you do have a day to spare whilst visiting Auckland, Salt Air can offer you a choice of wonderful day tours from Auckland via light aircraft. These tours give you the opportunity to visit Northland and the Bay of Islands offering stunning scenic flight routes along the way. ----> Salt Air can offer you a unique and memorable experience of the Bay of Islands and Northland from the air with spectacular coastline views and island scenery. Our guided tour options and island escapes will also leave you with an appreciation of our local history, culture and coastal environment that is uniquely Northland.
- Sail an Americas Cup Yacht on the harbour ! harbor cruises.
- Scenic and historic walks in the area and The coast to coast trail
- Auckland Whale & Dolphin Safari
- Walk to Mission Bay along Tamaki Drive, lined with Pohutukawa trees, gorgeous and unique in NZ, coastal walk - Mission Bay has a beach front with numerous cafes and restaurants.
- Kelly Tarlton Underwater World - Aquarium with N.Z. species of marine life and also an Antarctic area with real penguins.
- Take a 35 min.ferry to Waiheke Island: an island paradise, quiet beaches, nature tracks, very laid back 60's/70"s atmosphere. Markets, cafes, artists and vineyards. As beautiful as the Bay of Islands but only 35 minutes from Auckland.
- New Zealand Hiking Safaris: Our customers have a sense of adventure and share our passion for active travel, wild places, and conservation. We are New Zealand's hiking and outdoor adventure holiday specialist with adventures to suit everyone.
- Auckland Sea-planes will take you to some of the Most Beautiful and Stunning places in New Zealand. Our Pilots have many years experience in showing both visitors and locals the country in a safe, knowledgeable and entertaining Way. - Island Hopping, a 2 hour aerial tour: Visit the remote beauty of Great Barrier Island or the rugged cliffs and black sand beaches of the West coast. Movie locations, Kawau with it's Governor's Mansion and sea life, often including whales and dolphins are part of the possibilities. This package has room for the individual adventurer including water landings. What stunning views we encounter is up to you! (NZ$470 p/p)
- Magic Broomstick Tours Devonport: Sightseeing on a Segway. Take a Guided tour or a short ride. A Must Do attraction for family and friends exploring the military history, the volcanic cones and the awesome views around Devonport Auckland.
- Observe the views from the many volcanoes in Auckland such as Mt. Eden, One-tree-hill, North-head or Mt. Victoria.
- Theaters & cinemas: Major city venues within one mile from Ascot Parnell include the Aotea-concert-hall and convention centre, the IMAX and Civic theaters in downtown, Village 8, Rialto, The Vector Arena at a 20 minute walk from here.
- At the Auckland ZOO you can see the rare nocturnal Kiwi-bird and more New Zealand wildlife. <>
- The Casino and Sky-city.
- A&P Shows throughout the country: Royal Agricultural Society of New Zealand.
- Additional links to things to see and do in our area can be found here.